It’s common in counseling to hear wives say they don’t feel loved by their husbands anymore. But, believe it or not, husbands can feel unloved by their wives too. Although it can take some time when I’m counseling a man to get him to finally admit, “My wife doesn’t love me.”
Lack of love from a partner usually doesn’t just happen. The love typically slowly dwindles over time. So to restart it requires the same approach – slow, methodical and patient. To start the process here are 7 things men can do to begin to get their wives to love them again:
- Unconditional Acceptance – Accept her unconditionally. Start by dropping the ‘she needs to do ____ for me first’ attitude — if you have one (and most men do). I’m sure she’s disappointed and probably hurt you in many ways, but if you want her to start treating you better you’re going to have be the one to get it started. I know you’re probably thinking, “Why me? Why not her first?”Well, you’ve heard the saying, ‘Man Up,’ right? Okay, tell yourself that and get to work.
- Love Her – Make her feel wanted, important, special. Do things that make her feel she’s who you want to be with — instead of your phone, or softball buddies, or ESPN, or a beer. What did you do when you were courting her to make her feel wanted and loved? Try some of those approaches again. One reason your wife may not love you is because she feels you don’t love her.
- Compliment Her – Most women want to hear that their partner finds them attractive. Be on the lookout for things to compliment about her appearance, dress, home, work, how she is as a mother to your kids, or whatever else is really important to her.
- Touch Without Sex – Here’s a little secret — guys get more and better sex when they aren’t pushing for it all the time. Women want to enjoy our physical presence without our expecting or having to have it always lead to sex. If it happens, great, but don’t always be pushing for it. Try hugging, touching, and kissing her without wanting sex. You might be really surprised by what you get in return.
- Talk to Her – One of the most frequent complaints I hear from women in marriage counseling is about their husbands not talking to them. Sometimes this means not really talking to them at all, but often it’s that he never shares with her his thoughts and feelings. Women want to know what’s going on inside their man, so push yourself to open up and share what’s happening on the inside with your wife. A good place to start would be telling her you feel she doesn’t love you and then ask her how she feels.
- Be Honest – A guy was telling me yesterday in counseling that he’s afraid to be honest with his wife. There were many painful reasons why he had become fearful and stopped being honest with her about how he felt. However, those experiences didn’t change the fact that his marriage is suffering because he is not honest with her. Guys can easily skirt around the truth. Don’t do it. Be honest with her. Wives tell me all the time that they just want to hear the truth, even if it’s painful.
- Be Consistent – Doing things consistently is one of the hardest things for all of us to do. Getting your wife to love you again is not a one and done thing. It requires continual effort. It can be tough for many guys to stay consistent in the loving our partner department. But our not loving our wives consistently is usually one of the key reasons she no longer loves us.
I’ve challenged the wives who don’t feel loved to try their list of suggestions for 90 days, so I’m putting the same challenge out to the men too. Guys, we have great influence over how our wives feel about us. So if you’re one of many guys who feels “my wife doesn’t love me,” pick a couple of things from this list and get started today beginning to change that.