Cosmo recently polled over 1,400 women on why their past relationships ended. No, it wasn’t just out of morbid curiosity (though, you have it admit, it is fascinating); we also happen to think that if you know the most common reasons couples split up, you can use that information to strengthen your bond and make it last longer.
Some of the results were expected, but some really surprised us. Check ’em out here:
1. We just fell out of love. (39.7% of respondents said they had experienced a breakup for this reason)
2. He cheated (36.6 percent)
3. He lied about something, and I couldn’t trust him again. (29.3 percent)
4. We were always fighting and realized we shouldn’t be together. (29.1 percent)
5 and 6 (tied). He stopped doing sweet, romantic things for me. And, I missed being single and dating around. (both 21.1 percent)
7. He wasn’t very ambitious when it came to his career. (20.6 percent)
8. One of us moved. (20.2 percent)
9. He didn’t get along with my friends and family. (18.9 percent)
10. The sex was bad. (15.7 percent)
We also found it really interesting that more relationships ended because the guy wanted to take the next stop, but the woman didn’t (12.7 percent) than vice versa (9.1 percent).
Also of note: Just slightly over one percent of the women surveyed said that they’d brought on a breakup by giving the guy an ultimatum—propose or it’s over—and he chose to end things. That either means that ladies aren’t giving ultimatums or they are…and the ultimatums are working! Which do you think it is?
Some of the breakup reasons that didn’t make the list, but did catch our eye:
“He would tease in really hurtful ways and not care when I told him I didn’t like it.”
“He started cheating with my best friend that was my ex sister in law and mother of our two nephews.”
“He was so clingy.”
What are the reasons that you’ve had a relationship end? Are you surprised at the responses other women gave?